During the first week of my challenge to save energy, I’ve criticised the government and energy companies for their failings. But she who is without sin cast the first stone, and frankly, I’m no angel either. So I thought I’d do the walk of shame today and confess the ways DJ and I have been known to waste precious gas and electricity:
1. Putting the central heating on when we don’t need to – that terrible urge you get to put it on when you’re feeling just a little bit chilly. Worst still, when you’re the only person in the house.
2. Leaving my mobile phone to charge overnight. Recently I’ve been weaning myself off this habit by charging it during the day and keeping an eye on it so I can unplug it as soon as it’s ready.
3. Letting my laptop ‘sleep’ plugged in so I can get it to work quicker the next day instead of shutting it down and unplugging it altogether. Or worse, forgetting and leaving it on all night.
4. Leaving lights on in the bathroom or landing. DJ is a bit absent-minded and is particularly guilty of this, although he’d of course blame me…But he’s been making the effort to improve his ways. He’s been turning off the landing light upstairs so that whenever I go to the loo in the evening I miss my footing and trip in the dark. Worth it to save the planet though…
5. Going out into the garden and leaving the kitchen door open so all the heat escapes…er…DJ again…
6. Going to bed and leaving things on standby like the TV and DVD – although we’ve been tackling this recently.
7. Turning the oven on to warm up and then forgetting about it for half an hour to answer the phone etc.
8. Serving up food and leaving a gas hob on accidentally…Not just a waste of energy but dangerous too…
9. Throwing washing in the tumble dryer when I should hang it out to dry outside.
What are your energy wasting confessions? Hang your energy sins out to dry by leaving a comment!
Have a great weekend, Piper xxx